Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Government Buttinski's

My sister was telling me the other day about a law that was going to be passed, wherein all toys and children's clothing must be tested more stringently for lead and other harmful elements. This particular law, seems to have the potential to put small and home business' out of business as the testing is very expensive and would not be a viable option for smaller business'.

I have come across a couple of articles, if you are interested, that talk about this new policy that will go into effect on Feb. 10th, 2009.

New Law Could Wipe Out Handcrafted Toy Makers
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/14/smallbusiness/toy_law_threatens_small_companies.smb/?postversion=2009011509

U.S. Product Consumer Safety Commission Site
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/14/smallbusiness/toy_law_threatens_small_companies.smb/?postversion=2009011509
FAQ's on This Particular Topic:
http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/faq/faq.html#children

Here is the Etsy Forum with a variety of discusionss regarding the CPSIA ruling particularly:
http://www.etsy.com/forums_board.php?forum_id=5000002

Handmade Toy Alliance
http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

Petition
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/handmadetoys/index.html

Honestly, my questions are as follows:

  • If there was already a Product Consumer Safety Commission, how is it that all of these recent problems with lead in the toys ocurred? Were the monitors of the monitors of the monitors not paying attention?
  • I'm not anti-import by any means...but I do think quality standards for quality and content need to be in place. Where were those?
  • Isn't this a case of Big Business vs. Small Business, wherein all of the laws and constraints are in favor of the Big Business which in turn will put the Small Business out of business? Big Business has the funds needed to provide for any type of testing, however a smaller business will not have the funding available and therefore will be unable to sell hand crafted items.
  • Also, homemade children's toys, things that are sewn, made out of wood, hand crafted are generally made and purchased by environmentally conscious individuals...people who are looking to support small business' and local business', people who are looking to consume things that are done in a very particular way. Don't you think that the sellers and the purchasers are going to be paying attention to what is going on their children's bodies and in their little mouths?

I'm all for safety for children, for keeping unhealthy elements out of the things they put in their mouths, BUT, I also believe in a pretty liberal freedom of choice rule. As a parent/guardian/caregiver it is each of our individual responsibilities to keep a good eye out and make sure that things are being done properly without getting ridiculous. It is impossible to try to child-proof the world. Not only impossible, but unreasonable.

I think there is definitely a place for government regulation...and I think it should start with the quality and quantity of inferior items that do not pass governement guidelines being imported into the country. Just like I don't like or purchase inferior U.S. products, I'm not looking to purchase inferior non-U.S. products. I am looking for quality and for once I would like to see someone deliver it and meet some reasonable expectations.

I actually think this a potential case for over-regulation and meddling from the government. I also think it has a lot to do with money and power exchanging hands in high places. I am not for the government peering over my shoulder at every turn making sure that I'm making a good decision according to their standards. Frankly, my standards are probably higher, but I don't want a Buttinski watching everything I do. Back off.

Regulate what needs to be regulated...Stop...Pause...Think...Look Before You Leap...and Be AWARE of making blanket decisions and the impact that those decisions can have across the board. Sheesh...and a whole slew of these people went to Business School, have MBA's, Law Degrees, and etc...you'd think one or two of them might figure out a viable solution that is in the best interest of the actual citizens.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

i agree. btw, i like the new look of the blog! those underwater photos are so cool.