Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

February 23rd, 2004...A story from the Philippines

Digging, digging...here is a story I had completely forgotten about...kind of funny.

At the time, I was trying to get everything updated but due to lags in technology, I had a few minutes to type up this experience I was right in the middle of. I was corresponding with a bunch of girlfriends online, so that is who the writing is addressed to.

Rest assured...I LOVE the Philippines, and travelled there frequently. In fact, I haven't been there for several years and I miss it sorely. I love travelling, I love new people and making friends, however, that said, sometimes people get a little enthusiastic, and this can be the result.
*****************************************

O.k.--because my email is taking so long to update I've got time for a quick "Story" from the Philippines...

Quick background...my company requires that I work US hours while here in the Philippines--this said--I travel to work exclusively at night--usually the middle of the night (between 11:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. depending on my schedule)...the hotel taxi's take me to and from work and so people become familiar with your face...that said...read on...

I have just been recently accosted, early Saturday morning, by one of the many hotel taxi drivers who ferry me to and fro. He has delcared his great affection for me and how wonderful and beautiful he thinks I am--so now, it is "Dodge The Driver" for another two weeks! He drove me to work earlier this week (1x) and apparently ever since has been looking for my fare. He indicated that he had asked all his friends...the other drivers...if they had seen me and they said "oh, yes--I drove her yesterday or today" or whatever--so this should be a lively entertainment over the next two weeks ("Your face is so beautiful, ma'am!" and "You look lovely today in red, ma'am!" and "I am hoping to get your fare this morning, ma'am!")...this happens at least 1-2 times per trip whenever I leave the country but I was hoping to lay low this time around...no such luck!

This morning he was my driver again...I cringed when I saw him at the concierge's desk...and I have been elevated from a paltry "Ma'am" to "Madam" and what "Madam wishes, wants etc."...me, a madam?! Not likely--number one I don't work in a brothel, but, number two, I'm not 78--I'm 34!

This man is married, I am married and very definitely NOT interested (I do not think I can even properly express how NOT interested I am in this man or any other man for that matter!)--to the point that I try to give single word answers...I have reminded him, in conversation, of his young son--his wife--my husband, but to no avail--so like I said--it's Dodge the Driver and he had better lighten up or I am going to decline his driving services, and I really don't want to embarass him in front of his colleagues.

To give you some additional background...when I was 18 and flying alone from the East coast to the West coast to go to school , a Saudi doctor proposed "an arranagement" and wanted to "get to know me" and thought I would "like his country"--it's true...I would have loved his country and I do love to travel...but he was 45 or so...I was 18 and numerous other reasons to match why I was not about to engage in a relationship of any sort with this man. He did keep offering a sesame cookie to me though...hmmm...

I went to Turkey and was accosted, cat called and actually pinched! by numerous waiters, taxi drivers and soldiers on the street...

I went to Mexico City and the same thing happened...

I went to California to visit my aging grandparents and we drove to the beach (it was March) to look at the ocean and a Mexican stranger solicited me in Spanish--even though I looked around and thought "Who the hell is this man motioning too?" It didn't even cross my mind that it was me!! Aged grandparents, wedding bands and did I still want to join him for a walk?! Thank you, no, friend!

Now--I do not view myself as any great beauty or stunning starlet---in fact I'm not currently all that pleased with my overall personal appearance--so while American's may not look twice---everyone else apparently does!

I tell my husband these stories and he just laughs---and says---"I told you that you are beautiful! Why don't you listen to me? You radiate!" Gush, gush...so it does make me all warm and mushy inside...but still...come on...What are they thinking?!--Well, I take that back. I think we all know what they are thinking...

Well, I'm replicated--hope you enjoyed the story...I'd love to hear any of yours if you have them to tell!!

2 comments:

Grace said...

Yes you are a beauty. Why does it take foreign men to make you understand?
Anyhow, since we are sisters I have had similar experiences. You know I love salsa dancing. So one time I decided to go for one last hurrah before I went to Alaska. This sweet Mexican cowboy "boyman" kept asking me to dance. So of course I did. Little did I know he was growing attached to me. I don't know how, he didn't say hardly anything except for my name and how are you. But towards the end of the night he was pleading don't go! You stay here. I take care of you. Don't go to Alaska! I wasn't even trying to make him like me in fact I was doing the dodging too. I guess he just found me irresistable. At the time (being single) I remember thinking why can't this happen to me with a guy that I could actually like and say wow! Yes! Let's get out of here and make out(: Personally the Scott was my favorite, but you gotta like being the love of love at first sight. Even if it's just a little smile in your heart, followed by dodging and no thank yous and no ways!

Tracy said...

LOL...you make me laugh!
Yes...it is true being the "love" of love at first sight does give your heart a happy little smiley sigh!

Also...you made out with a Scotsman...seriously nothing can really top that...did you tell him betwixt kisses..."Say something, baby, anything...corn flakes...oatmeal...the loch ness monster...anything"...LOL

Not (at least) making out with a fully accented Scotsman remains one of my grand regrets in life...never to be reconciled. I have to say, I did snag myself a fine Italian man for a short period of time...Ahhh Cara Mia! LOL