Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Best Valentine...

Zion's National Park 1992

My husband has a knack for giving the best Valentine's ever.

He's creative about it, and somehow always matches the needs to the moment.

You never know what you're going to get or when. Some years, it's a single rose, others an inundation of them, some years perhaps a card or chocolates, dinner out, or movies, or other treats or gifts, once it was a blue Vermont Teddy Bear, sometimes it's just several hours of "face-time" being each others buddies as we get stuff done, and every once in a while jewelry is the flavor of the day. Regardless of what it is, it's always perfect for that year.

As a note, I don't always get cards with my gifts, but the one's I do get are always memorable. My very favorite card, hand's down, to date, is the one received on Valentine's Day in 2007.

I will share it with you today, in remembrance and in honor of the love affair and friendship he and I have had going for the past 18 years or so. It is as follows:

The Outside of the Card: "With you is my very favorite place to be"
The Inside: "Happy Valentine's Day with Love

His Additional Insert:

2.14.2007

Happy Valentine's Day, Tracy!

Valentinius was an obscure saint from Ancient Rome. There is no written record of the events of his life or why he is a saint.

Pope Gelasius abolished Lupercalia--the Roman February fertility festival--in the fifth century and instead promoted St. Valentine's Day...to honor a saint no one knows anything about.

Geoffrey Chaucer, the randy wordsmith of the middle ages, chose St. Valentine's Day to brown-nose King Richard II of England, by sending a poem written to honor the King's engagement.

Esther Howland, in 1847, used Valentine's Day to generate business for her father's stationary store by sending mass-produced "Valentine's."

In the 1980's the diamond industry began an advertising campaign to promote Valentine's Day as an occasion for giving jewelry.

So, I just wanted to wish you a Happy "brown-nosing-fertile-greedy-capitalist-unknown-saint's day" and to tell you I miss you all the time and I love you.

Love...

For the past few years, I have kept this card somewhere accessible. Not tucked away in a book, or folder or scrapbook, but somewhere that I can pick it up every now and again and read it through. Without fail it always brings a smile to my face and some times, still, even a chuckle.

Hands down--he is my very favorite human ever and I am a lucky girl.

As to all of the rest of you Valentine's lovers out there...Happy "brown-nosing-fertile-greedy-capitalist-unknown-saint's day" and if you are one of those who hates Valentine's Day...well...Happy Lupercalia instead then!

No comments: