Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pho Adventure


I heard about Pho a couple of years back.  It is a Vietnamese dish--a hot, hot soup that sounded fantastic.  I didn't know how or when I would have the opportunity to put myself in the path of Pho, but it stayed on my wish list.

A few weeks back, I had a conference in Salt Lake City, and my group and I decided to grab some lunch before heading back into work when the conference was over.  One person recommended Mi La Cai Noodle House in South Salt Lake, I jumped all over that as she highly recommended it and seems reasonably trustworthy in this regard.  Besides, the thought of eating at yet another Applebees or Iggy's or some such frozen-food-re-heated-Mecca just wasn't doing it for me.

Driving into the parking lot, we were overcome by the most delightful wafts of cooking foods, garlic in particular, and so I knew that if nothing else, I was in for an adventure if not a down-right treat.  My boss wasn't so sure about it, but she's a salad eating kinda gal, and so while a nice person...just not someone in whom I can invest any epicurean trust.

And so we entered into the world of Mi La Cai.  And...wowza.  Clean, pleasant, fast.  We only waited about 10 minutes.  I guess this place is hopping no matter what time of day.  The staff were exceptionally pleasant and since I'm twitchy about customer service this set me off on the right foot, on the right path to an enjoyable dining experience.

The menu had so many different options that sounded absolutely delectable.  I had a hard time choosing.  I decided that since there Pho was known, I was definitely going to go with that.  And because I am almost physically unable to pass up gyoza, pot stickers, or dim sum--I went with the pot stickers.

Once I made my choice and put in my order I felt giddy like a kid and was hard pressed to professionally sit there sipping at my ice water while I waited.  Ohhhhh the smells wafting out from the kitchen.  My boss wanted to talk about work...as usual...but how could she want to talk about work at a time like this???  There was amazing food being prepared, cooked and served all around us...didn't she want to talk about that??? Sheesh.

Before I knew it (remember I said the service was fast), out came our orders.  First the pot stickers and crab rangoon--and they were worth every figurative finger-licking bite.  My mouth is watering right now as I think back on it.

Next came the entrees and here--yes--here at last in my very life, at long last was my precious Pho!!!  My brain was elated, my heart it beated, and my taste buds and salivary glands were quickly liquifying.  I looked at it, smelled it, and completely lived in that moment in time as having achieved something that I had long desired and at long last was experiencing.  I know.  Dramatic for food, but I take my pleasure and delight wherever I can.  ;)

It was delicious!! I could not get enough of the broth and the whole thing was like a party in my mouth!


It comes out in a big bowl: hot, steaming broth, beef and noodles. A side plate of bean sprouts, lots of Thai basil, lime and jalapeños. Shred the basil and add it all in to the soup. Add in the jalapenos (all of them) and then squeeze every last bit of lime into it that you can.  Lastly season with hoisin sauce and sriracha chili sauce (and don't be a lightweight about it either.) Mix and submerge. Eat with gusto, and let your eyelids sweat a little bit. Absolutely fabulous and the basil is just a fresh tasty surprise every time it hits the palate. 


I enjoyed every luscious bite and ate until I was stuffed.  Then I asked for a to-go container so I could take the rest home.  **Side Note: I ate the rest at home, but it doesn't keep well as far as the noodles are concerned, they go a little soggy...so go hungry...and eat it all on site.  At lease that's what I will do next time
 

Conclusions: 
Mi La Cai: Great restaurant, great food and the service outstanding. I would eat there anytime. :)
Pho: A new delight that I will be trying again and again.  All thumbs up.  :) 
If You Want to Make it Yourself (which I haven't tried yet): A friend of mine ventured forth and made it from the recipe on this site: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vietnamese-Pho-Rice-Noodle-Soup-with-Beef-232434 She said it was delicious. 

No comments: