Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Homage to Daddy...Dad...Pai...Papai...Meu Querido Desaparecido...


Well...Today is February 7th and what a day it was 10 years ago. Full of weeping and tears--broken hearts and shattered lives. Regrets. Spoken and unspoken words and tendernesses. The slipping between this life and the next. It was a crushing day. A life altering day.

Today is the 10 year anniversary of my Father's unexpected, untimely and indelibly tragic death.

To any father's out there in the ether--you are valuable.
You are important.
The work you do, the lives you bless, the time you spend, the talks, the playing, the laughing, the disciplining...every special or mundane thing you do...you are making something.
If you don't know what you've made, or if you're not sure if it is good, or as good as you would like it to be--look at it, study it--and go from there.
Children are forgiving and forgetting kinds of creatures, especially when you return with an increase of love.
You are their world if you choose to be it.
Take care.
Love those who love you.
Because when you are gone you will be missed and all that is left is the legacy and the memories that you chose to create.

In his honor...today's post goes with raised glass to him. I love you. I miss you. Here's to you--and to me--and to all of us left behind--until we meet again.



My mom and Dad on one of his business trips to Istanbul, Turkey in the 80's.
She loved traveling with him. They went around the world.
They were crazy in love with each other.


The Charlestown Seafood Festival in Rhode Island.
My Dad is doing the Chicken Dance with my little sister Grace.
She loved it, we loved it, he loved it.
We ate lobster, shrimp, mussels, hush puppies and all kinds of delightful things in the summer sun by the beach.


On the Harley Davidson Fat Boy, with three of my four brothers.
My dad loved this motorcycle.
All of my brothers love motorcycles.
Let's be honest...the WHOLE family loves motorcycles!


One of the first pictures of us together. 1970.
I don't remember this day...
;)

Just me and my dad.
I loved doing stuff with my dad.
We went to the beach, played in the rain, and explored the world together.


One of my first Halloween's...Dad, Mom and I'm the scary Franken-Baby.
Our family has always been big on Halloween.
My dad loved doing spooky makeup, and crazy costumes.
We, still, raid the closets, drawers, attics and jewelry boxes to put together our costumes.


Rhode Island, out walking the forest by our home.
New England in the late Fall, is everything you always thought it might be.
Nothing compares.


I loved the swings. Payson, Utah.
HIGHER!!!


Our family just before we left the U.S. to live for several years in Brazil.
We were so excited.
It was a HUGE adventure.
My sister is the bump in the middle.


During graduate school.
At the time I had a dog named Licorice.
Our house was pink.
I loved school.
This was a blue velvet dress. It was my favorite.


In Rhode Island after church one day.


In N. Eastern Ohio--sledding with my sister.
This is NOT the time she went over a wall and into a creek bumping her "sh-nock-a-nock" on the rocks.


The Sheriff and his Deputy...Dad and brother Dan. California.
I think they look pretty legit.


Christmas in Rhode Island in the home library.
These are not all of the books.


In Brazil with baby brother.


From trampoline to swimming pool...all at the same time.
Tidal wave making time.
The trampoline flew backwards and hit the wall.


Happy Faces. Happy Family.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

i love all those photos, especially the last one of Dan with his daddy. so sweet.

Tracy said...

I know! I loved that one too and thought it would be apropos as the final photo!
Hugs!