Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Monday, December 14, 2009

Sigh...

I know, I've been absent. Sometimes that's just how life goes.

You think you're engaged and that all of those balls you are juggling are safely in the air, and then *poof* you realize something has dropped and rolled away in the interim, and there you are... juggling... while wistfully looking at that one lost ball that is rolling slowly away and then firmly sticking itself under the refrigerator, or the car, or the bed...or something...somewhere you cannot possibly get to it at the moment. That's how blogging has been over the past few weeks.

Well, for me, I've wiggled under the bed, retrieved the blogging ball, and tossed it back up in the air, hopefully it will stay there for awhile, and hopefully it won't knock somebody else out of their place...not interested in dropping any balls right now.

So, that said, what's the news? What's the happs? What's the goings on? Well, I'll toss out some bones for you Nosey Nellies who are curious...

In no particular order of occurrence or of preference:

I quit my job to become a Stay at Home Wife...a "homemaker" if you will, amongst other, more personal reasons. This was a HUGE, HUGE move for me. I have been in the workforce for over 20 years. I have been an executive professional in a variety of capacities, responsible for money, budgets, deadlines, performance and goals. I'm still getting acclimated and learning how to be the boss of me. It's strange that no one else owns my ass for anything. It's strange and a bit unnerving. Indentured servitude was what I knew and I liked it.

I feel like I've escaped from somewhere and that they are looking for me to drag me back. I dream about the places I've worked, the good and the bad. I dream about the people I've worked with, both the good and the bad. I wake up with a start, feeling like I'm suppose to be somewhere, and positive that I've missed something. It's a whole, new strange world.

I think I've ended one chapter, and am beginning another, but right now...I can't quite read the language and I'm not sure I'm on the right page where this new chapter is suppose to start. I've given up things I knew and had become comfortable with, in exchange for things that I cannot see yet. I don't know this landscape...I don't know the rules of this place. So, I'm working it out, day by day.

*****

I'm listening to Christmas music, Muse, Achtung Baby by U2, and Dawnseeker by Sleepthief

*****

My book club just finished it's fifth year. I can't believe we have kept this thing running for so long! We've had so many things happen, big life events, and small life events. Our membership has rotated around, but there has been a steady core of us that have kept with it. I'm happy for that. I've learned a lot of things about people. I've learned a lot about these women that have become dear to me, these friends of mine. I like having shared time with them, knowing them and their families, their dreams, their lives. It brings me joy to be a part of it.

My top 15 favorite books, in no particular order, that we have read through the years are:

1: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
2: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
3: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
4: The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman
5: East of Eden by John Steinbeck
6: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
7: The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker
8: The Road by Cormac McCarthy
9: A Room of One's Own by Virginia Wolf
10: The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
11: Mrs. Mike by Benedict & Nancy Freedman
12: A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott
13: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
14: The Island by Victoria Hislop
15: Dracula by Bran Stoker...I see this typo...but I'm leaving it...Bran Stoker...the vampire writer who needs some fiber...

*****

I've discovered a new television show. First, let me say, I don't watch TV...in that I don't set time aside where I have to be in front of the screen. I don't want TV to control me in any way...except the beginnings of American Idol for the horrific singing...but even then, if I have things to do, I do them. ANYWAY, I'm a CSI fan. Something about the minutiae of murder and the solving of the story, I am hooked. Well, I came across another show that has been on for quite sometimes, Criminal Minds. I've been enjoying episodes here and there. Getting roped in to a whole new series that revolves around deviant and anti social behavior, great, more murder.

*****

Which leads into my next bit...what's with all of the violence...and I mean the violence in real life?? I'm finding it to be the most offensive thing out there. In it's whole...violence is vile. I get how it happens, I understand all of the reasons people give for why they do it...but I just really don't care about any of those reasons at all. Stop with the pity party, stop with the whining.

Stop hitting. Stop shooting. Stop stealing. Stop raping. Stop abusing. Stop molesting. Stop manipulating. Stop yelling. Stop screaming. Stop lieing. Stop torturing. Stop kidnapping. Stop using. Stop hating. Stop controlling. In short...just stop.

So many people have this skewed sense of immediacy and of entitlement. You're not entitled to a lifestyle. You're not entitled to what someone else has earned. You're not entitled to relationships. You're not entitled to take whenever you want to take. No one owes you. Go earn what you want. Deal with your problems and your stresses without putting your hands on someone else to take something from them, whether it be dignity or blood.

If people just behaved, we'd all be better off. And if wishes were fishes we'd all have a fry.

*****

Speaking of entitlement...
Tiger Woods is a moron. He suffers from the "I-Have-Everything-And-Am-So-Unhappy" disease. Get a life...oh wait...yeah, you had one and then you jacked it up because you're a selfish a-hole. Woops...did I just type that out loud??

***

I've been working with some new (and some old) recipes. Here are some of the things I've tried lately:

Cranberry Salsa
Chicken Adobo
Chicken Paprikash
Paprika Hendl
Antipasti Platters
Baked Brie in Filo with Loganberries & Lemon Zest
Alho e Oleo...or Garlic & Oil (Olive) Pasta with Red Pepper and Parmesan
Pomegranate Ginger Punch
Feijoada Completa...and I MEAN completa...
Sauerbraten with Mashed Potatoes
Clam Chowder
Banana Cake with Frosting

Deliciousness is had at our home on a regular basis lately. One of the perks of time and being in my house during the day.

***

I saw New Moon.
I was Team Edward in the books.
I am still Team Edward in the books.
I am no longer Team Edward in the movies.
I am considering converting from Vampires to Werewolves...
I think Bella needs to chill with all of the sighing.

***

I recently celebrated my 17th Wedding Anniversary. Holy Cow.

***

Pie Night was a hit! We had a wonderful time and had a plethora of pies. We had: Banana Cream, Pecan, Pumpkin, Strawberry, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Strawberry Rhubarb, Coconut Cream, Apple and 2 quiches...or is it quichi?... 1 Broccoli and Cheese and 1 Spinach and Chives. We also had little pulled pork and jalapeno cheese sandwich rolls hot from the oven (thank you Grace), this incredibly amazing lime and cilantro shrimp, mozzarella and spinach salad that my mom made and plenty of drinks and other munchies. It was fun to get together with the family and with friends to have our pre-Thanksgiving celebration! I realized that we have been doing this for 11 years now, wow, how time does fly!

I also really enjoyed Thanksgiving this year. I think it was because it wasn't at my house and I had almost zero prep to do. I really enjoy, nee love, entertaining, but the dynamic of enjoying the party is different when you are the hostess vs. being the guest. I really enjoyed being the guest.

My brother made a picture perfect turkey. Martha Stewart doesn't even compare and I'm totally serious about that...Even if it needed two more hours to cook because, unbeknownst to anyone, the joints were frozen solid, and dinner became an evening supper...but hey...our family is known...infamous even...for late night dinners so it was coup-de-la for blood kin, even if the in-laws were starving.

***

Well, that's it for now...we've had good times, good food, good books, good music and a good rant.

Peace Out Kids...tune in next time...same Bat Time, same Bat Channel.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

great book list! i've read quite a few of those and loved them. and i am drooling thinking about pie night and reading the list of pies from this year. we had so much fun being there last year. such a fun tradition.

Unknown said...

Wow. A very thorough update. Good to hear things are going well. Sure miss ya!

Hethrjem said...

Hooray! The inner workings of Tracy's mind, plus a bonus book list! Good for you for homemaking. I have not a home, nor am I a maker. :)