Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Friendship improves happiness, and abates misery, by doubling our joys, and dividing our grief." Joseph Addison


Just a few things that delight me and make me happy...


  • Old pictures of me that show me as a happy girl who had her whole life ahead of her. It cheers me to get reacquainted with that person. (Like the picture above...I was 18)

  • The smell of a freshly made salad before any dressing is put over the top...lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes with thinly sliced red onions and perhaps some garbanzos and olives.

  • The sound of rain and the smell of fresh, wet dirt and leaves.

  • Walking out of the house during cooking for whatever reason and then walking back in and smelling how amazing the house smells...once in awhile, if I'm having guests over, I'll walk outside and back in again to see what it will smell like when they get there.

  • The sound of babies laughing...but the sound of babies that I love laughing even more.

  • The taste of fresh oranges when I am crazed for fruit in the middle of winter.

  • Chatting and laughing with girlfriends while drinking tea.

  • Indulging in a rare Sunday afternoon nap.

  • Reading, reading, reading.

  • Finishing a difficult task, that made me stretch and grow, successfully.

  • Loving others.

  • Sitting on the beach in the sunshine with a balmy breeze digging my bare toes into the sand.

  • Jumping in the waves and cresting the big ones just in time so that I'm not tumbled upside down, but rather come out the other side with a slight drop back into the ocean.

  • Seeing the stack of journals and notebooks that I have filled through the years. It's an accomplishment to fill a book...any book...with pieces of your life and moments from your brain put to paper.

  • Riding a bicycle down a hill, gathering speed as I go.

  • Taking photographs of things that are important to me.

  • Music that makes it impossible not to move my body.

  • Laughing with my brothers and sister about stories from our childhood with all of its slightly differing versions and perspectives.

  • Really excellent quotes that are arbitrarily discovered.

  • Chinese proverbs.

  • Movie night with my beloved, with homemade buttered popcorn and icy ginger ale.

  • My baby (25 yo) brother finding new music that he shares with me.

  • Onion powder and dried parsley...I love it...I don't usually go without it and I love to use it in cooking.

  • That I have become pretty good at making excellent gravies and sauces.

  • Conquering the broiler and not being afraid that I'm going to somehow blow up the oven by doing it incorrectly.

  • Talking to my heavily accented octogenarian grandma (almost nonagenarian) who's native language is Latvian, her second language is Portuguese (her growing up years and early adulthood in Brazil), and her third language is English (learned as an adult) with a smattering of Spanish thrown in (for where she lives in Los Angeles) for good measure, and having her share recipes from all the countries and cultures she has been a part of, and telling me stories about what a precocious and mischievous little girl she was.

  • Fresh cherries that I inadvertently eat way too many of because they are just so delicious that I don't notice that I'm shoveling them in like some kind of a bulldozer.

  • Road trips to anywhere with my beloved.

  • Freshly cut grass and the smell of backyard BBQ's during the evening in the summertime.

  • Kissing.

  • Foggy evenings.

  • Rose gardens.

  • Hanging out with my mom and talking about life and everything that can possibly fall under that umbrella and appreciating her uniqueness and ability to accept so much in the world today.

  • Twinkle lights in unexpected places.

  • People who are 100% themselves...meaning that they dress themselves, speak, eat, work, play and decorate their homes according to their own designs with the things that they like and love as opposed to worrying about what everyone else thinks they should do. It is so much more interesting.

  • Creating.

That's probably enough for now...I'm sure I'll come up with more as soon as I finish the post. LOL

3 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Funny, I share most of your likes. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Unknown said...

beautiful...and I see where Grace gets her love of smelling things....

Renata said...

Hey, thanks a lot for the comment on my blog. It was totally unexpected - no one seems to read the words I write (which, by definition, are the most important ones to me).
I really enjoyed reading your blog. Actually, right in this moment, the feeling that hits me is joy (unexpected and great hoy). You know that warmth that sometimes just takes your heart? That's exactly the feeling I got reading the things that you love, for they strongly remind me of the ones I love too (and that have been a little bit forgotten, due to the foggy mood I'm in now).

By the way, você entende português? Achei incrível isso. Aliás, desculpe por eventuais erros no inglês. É sempre meio assustador conversar com um nativo.

Volte mais ao meu blog, voltarei ao seu também. Obrigada, de verdade, pelo elogio.

Um beijo!