Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.

Somebody Else's Picture...credit to them, whomever they may be.
How I feel after throwing a party...

Thanks for the visit!! :)

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Amend and Concede

So, I am ammending the second to last paragraph of a post I made a couple of days ago.

"So much for "a government of the people, by the people, for the people" not perishing "from the earth". (Abraham Lincoln)...or maybe this is what the bulk of the population truly does want...for me, and maybe I'm in the minority and I'm o.k. with that, but it's not what I want...I could go with a lot less control, a lot less meddling, and a signficant decrease in my taxes...I earned it, I'd like to keep it and decide where I want it to go. "

Obviously from the results, and what magnificent results those are as far as people actually turning out, we are definitely maintaining Abraham Lincoln's original statement "of the people, by the people, for the people". By a landslide that is impressive in its numbers, Barack Obama has taken the day. The people in great majority have spoken. But I continue very definitely in the minority. While I performed my civic duty and voted yesterday with millions of others, I did not vote for Obama or McCain, I just couldn't buy into the rhetoric and the marketing, beautifully done as much of it was.

I'm still firmly for less control, less meddling, significantly decreased taxes and picking my own causes to support instead of having money ripped out of my wallet sans choice. I'm for a smaller government, I'm definitely for taking care of my own...my own family, my own neighbors, my own community and its needs. I firmly believe in states rights to do as they see fit by the voice of their people and the needs specific to those residents.

Don't get me wrong--I am for beautiful communities, good roads, taking care of the poor and the less fortunate...but I really think it should be done at a grassroots level more than a federal government level. Many would call that idealistic or even unrealistic...maybe so...but I have great faith in humanity and their ability to govern themselves if given the opportunity. That opportunity does not run rampant though, and because of excessive control through the decades there are problems that have inadvertently been created that require stringent laws and demands that may not have otherwise been necessary.

It is with caution that I approach the next few years. It is a historical event for a variety of reasons, and I do salute the fact that history has taken place and that many things have been proven. The feeling is such that there is a New Religion in town and there is a religious fervor in the win and in the celebrating...I'm glad that so many people are happy and are looking forward to change, but I still remain cautious and curious to see exactly what kind of change will take place. I prefer to keep church and state separate, and I guess that in the traditional way they are still relatively separate, but like I said, this is a New Religion, and it's not so separate from state, but rather is morphing into it. We'll see what we will see and I do remain curious to see what direction history takes next.

No comments: